Mars Challenger V1.0 > MCO Early Discussions

Laser-marker on top of the base - Idea

<< < (2/4) > >>

Phyco:
I use lasers at work all the time and only when its really dusty can i see them from the side normally i only see the red dot on what ever it hits.

Hyper:
Well even if you could see it, the beam divergence of a laser is small so at any distance you wouldn't see a 1/4 inch beam so it is impractical. By the way I used to be an EM engineer at International Laser Systems ( now Litton ) I built laser rangefinders, target designators etc for military applications so If you want to argue lasers with me have at it.

thedubman:
Nice idea the laser marker is,.. a strobe light be easiser I guess, marker flares for players could be fun, tangent, tangent, tangent :D

Hyper:
I might be able to have a strobe laser with a 5 degree divergence, spins around so we should be able to see it at distance. For every miliradian of divergence the power density halves over range but it would be doable at low power.

thedubman:

--- Quote from: Hyper on March 03, 2011, 03:37:16 PM ---Well even if you could see it, the beam divergence of a laser is small so at any distance you wouldn't see a 1/4 inch beam so it is impractical. By the way I used to be an EM engineer at International Laser Systems ( now Litton ) I built laser rangefinders, target designators etc for military applications so If you want to argue lasers with me have at it.

--- End quote ---

I got a question about lasers, what happens if you fire one at a solar panel? do you get power converted from it? or is it the wrong wavelength/spectrum etc??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version