Mars Colony Frontier > Have your say on the new version

The Base

(1/10) > >>

Hyper:
If this gets too long winded I will delete babble and just keep important content.
I will add other subjects as I need to know so for now lets just keep this about the base, construction and how to let players edit the layout.
So here are a few caveats.

1. the parts have to fit like building blocks. I think we can all agree building containers in situ will have to be modular. Currently we have hubs and connectors. I want to keep the same theme there but may add round modules like the ones Dr Zubrin suggests with mars direct. So suggestions welcome here.

2. An editor to let the user do the layout. Gui 2d based or live in game ghost plan like Star Wars Galaxies. Or give me a idea.

3. How to implement the actual construction. They just appear, go through a build anim, or what?

The economy required to obtain the modules will be discussed in a different board.
Please dont write a book on every post, I have a lot on my plate and I need fast reading.

profit004:
I think the build animation should be kept very simple but I think it would be important to have one.    Perhaps a tent/tarp over the build area with dust that comes out when people are working on it or something.

The Build interface itself probably should use ghosted green wire-frame outlines of the building being built at 50ish % alpha as it would allow players familiarity with most other games and help in positioning the modules.

I think a live 3D with a floating not user attached camera when someone enters the build menu that works within 10 meters of the user. (Have to put the limit to avoid using it for exploration =p )  The floating camera is useful for getting an overview of the placement though.

outzoner:
What about a kind of "Construction-container"- only coloured black with yellowstripes- warning signs and so on.  it can show some bright light through windows that simulate welding-work with some heavy sounds.  not too much work on that animation.

the idea with the green frame should work for everybody. lots of build up games got a similar system. the green frame could be highlighted when it is in position that fits.

Hyper:
I can put a fly camera in and as you say only allow activation near a registered "build" site. Good idea. The ghost would be helpful because you know someone would build off a cliff.
Lets lock that in for now, I will test implementation.

rditto48801:
I like the ideas for 'ghost buildings' to help placement, and of the 'construction tent' since it makes sense in several ways.

Another stray idea for the building cam idea to aid in limiting its 'exploration' potential, such as having a 'fog of war' to block seeing to far when in build mode. Or maybe have the camera go into a mainly top down view viewing a viewing area wide enough for 3 structures to fit (or 4-5 for wide screen displays).

A stray suggestion/idea relating to base building.
Building Grids:
A 'building grid' made of (1m?) squares could be visible when in 'build mode'. Structures would (or could) snap to the grid. Hopefully easier than just having the game itself try to figure out what places may or may not be suited for different types of construction. Also allows a little extra 'variety' of structures and require a bit extra thought and planning of what gets built where.
There would be several types of 'spaces', based on the terrain/location. The down side is it could limit building rotation to 90 degree increments unless the grid is more of a 'building guide' without a 'snap to grid' restriction.
'Clear' squares (empty square on the grid).  Ready for building with little effort. Default build time/cost.
'Usable' squares (square with a '-' in it on the grid). Terrain is firm/level enough, needs some prep.  Basic structures/equipment - default time/cost (basic default 'foundation' included).  Standard structures - small time/cost increase  for basic foundation prep.
Heavier structures/equipment - moderate time/cost needed for sturdy foundation prep.
'Rough' squares (square with a '/' though it). The terrain is poorly suited for construction. foundation prep cost/time would be significant (and prohibitive) for most structures. Only basic/lighter structures/equipment can be placed without extensive foundation/terrain prep.
'Unusable' squares (a square with an 'X' through it on the grid). The terrain is not suitable for anything for any number of reasons. If it is at least 'level' enough, then 'portable' stuff or basic equipment like navigational lights could still be placed there.
Special exceptions: Things that 'set' on the ground, like covered pipes leading to the rover fuel station in 1.x might be able to handle many terrain types, so long as they are 'level'.
Another would be a basic platform resting on several pilings. They could be built in difficult terrain, but be poorly suited for structures, meant more for creating a level places to put (semi) portable equipment, or even just setting stuff on.  Such a platform could be built over grades of 30-45%. They would also be the ideal location for special semi-portable shelters.

Should I hold off on posting actual ideas/suggestions for types of structures that could be built? Or could I mention those in this thread also? (I got like a page worth, some practical, some sensible, some that might be more for immersion/decoration without supporting aspects being in game...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version