Author Topic: Mine Facility  (Read 12031 times)

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
Mine Facility
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »
Version 3.16 has parts of the mine camp set up. The GPR and Drills are active along with the LIBS machine. I will be adding the funcitonality for the Auger so we can start getting material to the surface and start the refining process.
This is another one of them "how much is too much" questions.
I plan on making the users break down the Augers to move them as in 2 sets of legs, motors, power system, auger head etc.
I want to also make a heat forge and a chemical forge to separate the raw materials and create pure product.
any thoughts?

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: Mine Facility
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
They sound like great ideas, breaking down the mining equipment seems the best way forward.. mining or excavating any ground mass is very difficult (I should know, today for example I was involved in dropping a 7m deep x 4m square shaft in the ground) so mining/excavating on mars must be 10 times more difficult. Having the mining process so it involves work and planning would be more 'fun' and give players more to do..  For me personally the more complex the better..

geoffcartwright

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:25:22 PM »
might thought exactly too.
the more complex at later stages the better and more realism as well.
be nice to be able to start a small colony / mining facility and then buy more add-on modules parts or equipment..

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
My thoughts exactly, I think the most fun/challenge will be in, being able to survive then build up your colony (opposed to getting all at once)

pad69

• Mission Commander
  • The Robe Rules
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 09:24:05 AM »
My thoughts exactly, I think the most fun/challenge will be in, being able to survive then build up your colony (opposed to getting all at once)

I have to agree with this.
Murphy's Law applies "Anything that can possibly go wrong, does." or some say it this way "If anything can go wrong, it will.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »
Im curious to know how you consider to power the mining equipment?? Im guessing battery? or solar/wind..

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »
Using RTG for now. Would like to set it up for something else but that may have to wait.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
RTG? Im not sure what that is.  Sounds interesting anyways!

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator... dont leave home without one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

I see micro nuke reactors as a way to power small things and keep containment. RTG type power units have been around for a while now and will probably be enhanced in the next 10 to 20 years.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:45:32 PM by Hyper »

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »
Ah yes, I have heard of them- Nice bit of kit..

Leads me to beg question, could radiation (poisoning) be a factor with MCO. Hanging around a miner powered by a RTD or spending long ours outside, could give a dangerous amount of REMS- as it is a sim and set in the future 'medicine' could be taken to counter radiation for a player.. medicines could be made at the colony (fungus,chemicals etc) just an idea.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 11:43:16 PM »
The radiation code is in there I just havent implemented it yet. The RTG is fairly safe box and I would think in 20 years time it will be even better. We do have radiaiton issues tho. The player health will probably be added later on.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 01:23:49 PM »
I read that there are 1500+ lost RTD units scattered around the russian landscape powering various equipment. The RTD powered mining units seem a nice way of overcoming the power needs of such a unit.

geoffcartwright

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 12:09:57 AM »
hyper can we have a brief on the workshop etc metal ore recovery please?

Kronos

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 05:06:13 AM »
Hi newbie here that really enjoys the demo.

I like the idea of having to assemble the auger on-site. Will the rover be capable of transporting the pieces of the auger with the extra payload room in the future?

Just some questions/ideas:

With the discussion on radiation, I was wondering if proton storms from Solar flares and CME's would be included into the game/simulator in the future? I figure they'd be much rarer than the current brief, minor sandstorms already in the game/simulator, but would potentially be more dangerous. Perhaps you'd have to take shelter in a specific Solar flare storm shelter of some kind quickly for more severe proton storms and CME's, but you'd get maybe a few 3-15 minutes heads-up as they can in fact be detected on average a couple of hours (though occasionally much shorter) before reaching Earth, so longer probably for Mars.

While on the topic of storms, I was wondering if there were plans to introduce the rare major sandstorm, that could do damage to equipment outside, let alone people outside, but you'd have plenty of forewarning before it arrived. Sometimes sandstorms on Mars last for several weeks or months, and block out massive amounts of light, even near all of it, and would produce a lot of static electricity.

I've been wondering also if a rover, more like the Lunar Electric Rover might be added to the game/simulator in the future. The LER being capable of transporting a couple astronauts over 100 miles over a 14 day period sure seems like a significant improvement over the rover in the game/simulator currently. Not to mention the LER chassis being able to be a platform for cranes and other construction equipment necessities. Oh, and can't forget the what I consider genius; suitports.

I really like what you've got here so far. Though the game certainly is geared towards multiplay which is fine, I plan on maybe joining in on a test session soon, I think that would be fun.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:23:55 AM by Kronos »

Zaneo

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 08:26:32 AM »
Welcome to the group, It looks like you will bring some great ideas to the table. Hope to see you online.