Author Topic: The Money  (Read 7315 times)

Bamman

• Private
The Money
« on: December 23, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
I was just wondering how the money system will work, since this will be the first test of us getting any source of income. Will the money be given to the guy who sold it, the people who mined, the colony as a whole, or will it be given to the colony and divided up amongst the settlers? And what are we going to be sell, the raw rescources or are we gong to be able to manufacture things? And last but not least with our new powers of a ship and a cargo container, will we be able to buy things soon? Like adding new wings to the hubs or new and bigger/better rovers? Maybe a rover that can tow another?

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
Re: The Money
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »
Short answer, yes....
The cash for the colony should be dispersed by rank, by time in, by work done and by simple existence. Not quite sure how to do this yet. If I was going to go work and live at a colony, there would be a share system in place for me to make that decision I would think, what does it look like is a good question.

Zaneo

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
Long answer... Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss?

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:36:12 AM »
Now we tested that we can produce 'money' My question is, how and what we going to spend it on, as well as whats it going to be called?

It could be interesting if we could gain 'personal' money, a simple solution could be a player could recive a % of earned money from resouces shipped by using the skill points they have gained ie a player manages the farm, repairs some stuff, and does waste run- the skill increases gained could be converted into personal money earned. This could stop players focusing on mining resouces and selling- that money is given to the colony for large purchaces..  This could instigate a work ethic so as well as working to survive, the harder you work (the more you do) = the more money you earn. Where player driving and exploring wouldnt really earn a lot!!!

Why would you need personal money? Maybe players could buy, decorations for there room (a plant u have to water, a fish in a tank u have to feed) pictures etc.. or they could buy there own personal rover? or there own GPR? (these items could be stored and only available when online).

If the colony on a whole had money, how would any purchaces be made? would ity be by rank or a voting system??

Name, what would be called? is it £,$ or creds? something like MCred would be nice (Mars Credits)

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 10:58:09 AM »
Short answer = yes.
Everyone should get a share based on time and rank. We are looking into ways to see when a batch was sold and if you helped at all etc.
I would like to think that personal items will be in there and I plan on them, which ones makes sense to be determined.

Zaneo

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:41:59 PM »
Name, what would be called? is it £,$ or creds? something like MCred would be nice (Mars Credits)

I think hyper likes not getting sued by McDonalds....

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »
in a game of mine in the concept stage, one of the units of the currency is a martian.  (technically a martian coin)

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:32:30 PM »
a game of yours? lol sounds like yer shopping for ideas..

Xorekis

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »

I think hyper likes not getting sued by McDonalds....

Darn, there goes my Mars Colony Burger (McBurger) idea..

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:53:21 AM »
a game of yours? lol sounds like yer shopping for ideas..

LOL!

I do appropriate a lot of ideas, but it is in the more or less finalized stage at this point just needs me to get all the systems in my head down on it...  It's a 400 page design document currently and the money system is only a long paragraph long but it is complete...  (Has more words last count than the first harry potter novel if that tells you of the size and of the ludicrous amounts of typing I have done)

But anyhow, I decided that credits were kinda generic, so I created some coins based on some major stellar bodies *Since the game revolves around lunar colonists* and I kinda like the system.

If for some reason you wanted to use a similar system in this game...

On mars though with a frontier economy I would recommend they have a bit more practical coins maybe named after metals or refined elements, or colony parts, or terrain features unique to mars.  Maybe... Dusts worth 1 credit.. Craters worth 10... Boulders worth 100 or 500.... Hills worth 1,000 or maybe 10,000 credits... and maybe something like Olympus Mons coins worth 100,000 since all the action will take place on mars...  Or maybe something like Carbon Dioxides, Methanes, O2's, and Water coins.  

Not saying the game needs that kinda a system, It was just kinda necessary for mine because of it's nature large financial transactions will be taking place next to small ones and I wanted to make both convenient and not confusing while giving players a sense of ownership for their virtual property.  I don't see the need for development time to be used in this game for the same kind of system.    Just pick something that every player will relate to as valuable in the colony maybe Watts or Milliliters of H2O or a Martian, or a Space Travel credit, and I am sure it would be a fine currency.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:04:15 AM by profit004 »