Author Topic: Deaths  (Read 6143 times)

KingLarryXVII

• Apprentice
Deaths
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »
This is based off of the public beta, so if things have changed, let me know but...

There seems to be too little consequence for 'dying'.'  I'm open to ideas on how this can be improved but there is little motivation to go in during a storm when in its worst case you are just pushed inside anyways.  There has to be some limit, ie I understand a player cant die forever for gameplay reasons, but the real question is where to draw the line.  At the very least, there could be server settings designating how 'hard' to make it.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
Re: Deaths
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:43 PM »
The penalty for that hasn't be activated yet, for now we are just testing the mechanicals. Later when we add in the ranking/level system you will suffer the consequences.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:35:43 PM »
It has been debated a lot the concequences of 'dying' in game- as far as I remember the last conclusion was yes if you die you die for 'good', but I think it was discussed that there may be a window of time, where you can be 'rescued' and/or 'revived' with  a medical type device (adrenalin/drug cocktail etc) by another player..we can allready transfer o2 and power from suit to suit in an emergency.. I think even the idea of being able to 'buy a clone' so u can continue was thought about...you get lost, run out of o2 etc, die, you activate clone, continue with penalties (loss of rank/xp etc) maybe evan a 3 strike rule (3 deaths you gone for good!)  agree, you need concequences, so it makes the sim a challenge, so you have something to lose- makes players think/plan before they steam in. Also make for good teamwork- players have to have the fear of death/penalties so they strive to keep themselves and everyone else alive.. so you better watch those storms :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:48:42 PM by thedubman »

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »
The final products will probably have a switch so the mission commander or person that starts the game server will have the choice to set some values. Some groups may like the perma death while others will just take the exp hit. I think I will put the options in and let the users decide.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
Thats seems the best idea, allows for players who want a bit of casual fun- and for the hardcore nerd simmers (err spose that means me lol) but the option to allow such things is far better than having a game thats hardcoded to have no penalties.. deaths, injurys and illness also would be good for a player who would like to become a more medically based character, doctor/medic type.. (nooo dont start the classes post again!)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:00:28 PM by thedubman »

Zaneo

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
Quote from: thedubman
(nooo dont start the classes post again!)

I agree with no formal classes, but i think that everybody  will eventually make a pseudo-class , just by the actions they prefer. On that note, I know it's a little off topic, but is there going to be a "points" reassign system, or a resell equipment to store. With regards to equipment is it going to be that the best level stuff is always better, or are you going to make it so there are trade-offs, e.i. reduced mobility but larger capacity for air/power.

pad69

• Mission Commander
  • The Robe Rules
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 12:48:51 PM »
This is based off of the public beta, so if things have changed, let me know but...

There seems to be too little consequence for 'dying'.'  I'm open to ideas on how this can be improved but there is little motivation to go in during a storm when in its worst case you are just pushed inside anyways.  There has to be some limit, ie I understand a player cant die forever for gameplay reasons, but the real question is where to draw the line.  At the very least, there could be server settings designating how 'hard' to make it.

Check this out it is cool idea and been discussed already lol ;D http://hyperkat.com/litterbox/index.php?topic=40.0
Murphy's Law applies "Anything that can possibly go wrong, does." or some say it this way "If anything can go wrong, it will.

KingLarryXVII

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:09:12 AM »
Ha, I think that suggestion is a little different than mine ;-)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
Her's an idea:  "dying" player will have to suffer a penalty of being idle for a while, and other players will have to rescue him.
When an accident happens players character is beying immobilized. He can only look around and type to other players, but do nothing. His vision is fadeing. Colors are becoming grey. The line of sight is limited. It looks just like this: http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/call2_small.jpg
Meanwhile a distress signall is beying automaticaly send by hab's computer to all astronauts of an medical emergency with last known coordinates.
Other players will rush to help him. When someone gets to him he will aid him by injecting adrenaline (yes-through the space suit) that everyone has with them and share his oxygen and power to substain his life. Then he starts a suit-CPR: electrodes in the suit provides a defibrilation http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Defibrillation_Electrode_Position.jpg/464px-Defibrillation_Electrode_Position.jpg, air can be administered by the suit in CPR-mode (rapid changes in suit's preasure) and heart stimulation can also be administered by suit itself in CPR-mode using the serwmotores. If all that is done within 3 minutes the player will be stable. If not - he dies for good and gets kicked-off by serwer with a ban that last as long as admin declared.
Now the casualty will need to be draged back to COHAB.
Characters body will be transfered by the other player [as soon as possible!]) to the medical-bay or he's own bed. http://www.krzychowisko.neostrada.pl/plywanie/rysunek44.jpg http://www.krzychowisko.neostrada.pl/plywanie/rysunek42.jpg
There he can be properly treated while still beying idle: his suit will be dismounted and someone need do heal him using a med-pack. Ther's nothing left but to leave the patient alone to recuperate. The time needed for him to fully heal in-game can warry from 10-100 min. depending on how fast he got rescued. Yet while he rest in bed: he will still need to eat, drink or urinate so he will need a help with that from other ppl (giving him food, drink, or helping him urinate).
That way people will stick together in pairs so they can help one-another wery quickly if something goes wrong.
The injured character will be "bored" from waiting :) and will be fully dependable from the help of others - he won't want to "die" again :-)
If he joins other serwer he will just start an an injured person again and will have to recuperate that way - or the other. 

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

KingLarryXVII

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:28:15 AM »
Actually, I like the idea of  just going immobile on the spot and needing to be rescued, but I'm not sure thaaat much detail is needed, beyond just rescuing the guy and dragging him back to a hab.  The problem is, what if you don't get rescued.  Are you now done for the game?

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 06:29:57 AM »
Her's an idea:  "dying" player will have to suffer a penalty of being idle for a while, and other players will have to rescue him.
When an accident happens players character is beying immobilized. He can only look around and type to other players, but do nothing. His vision is fadeing. Colors are becoming grey. The line of sight is limited. It looks just like this: http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots/call2_small.jpg
Meanwhile a distress signall is beying automaticaly send by hab's computer to all astronauts of an medical emergency with last known coordinates.
Other players will rush to help him. When someone gets to him he will aid him by injecting adrenaline (yes-through the space suit) that everyone has with them and share his oxygen and power to substain his life. Then he starts a suit-CPR: electrodes in the suit provides a defibrilation http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/Defibrillation_Electrode_Position.jpg/464px-Defibrillation_Electrode_Position.jpg, air can be administered by the suit in CPR-mode (rapid changes in suit's preasure) and heart stimulation can also be administered by suit itself in CPR-mode using the serwmotores. If all that is done within 3 minutes the player will be stable. If not - he dies for good and gets kicked-off by serwer with a ban that last as long as admin declared.
Now the casualty will need to be draged back to COHAB.
Characters body will be transfered by the other player [as soon as possible!]) to the medical-bay or he's own bed. http://www.krzychowisko.neostrada.pl/plywanie/rysunek44.jpg http://www.krzychowisko.neostrada.pl/plywanie/rysunek42.jpg
There he can be properly treated while still beying idle: his suit will be dismounted and someone need do heal him using a med-pack. Ther's nothing left but to leave the patient alone to recuperate. The time needed for him to fully heal in-game can warry from 10-100 min. depending on how fast he got rescued. Yet while he rest in bed: he will still need to eat, drink or urinate so he will need a help with that from other ppl (giving him food, drink, or helping him urinate).
That way people will stick together in pairs so they can help one-another wery quickly if something goes wrong.
The injured character will be "bored" from waiting :) and will be fully dependable from the help of others - he won't want to "die" again :-)
If he joins other serwer he will just start an an injured person again and will have to recuperate that way - or the other.  

Nice ideas, but in a nutshell- allowing options to switch on/off 'hardcore' death modes for the server may suit..

For example..

Mode 1: Players that die, auto respawn in Hab, Penalties = temp small loss of Max health,stam for short while and xp loss, meds cure penatiles.

Mode 2: Players that 'die' auto respawn in Hab, Penatiles = temp 50% loss of max health, stam and slower regeneration for say 20mins and larger xp loss, health/stam loss and regen can be cured with meds..

Mode 3: Players that 'die'. Get immobilised on spot, call for help- other players come to aid and target the victim and use a emergency medical kit (hand held item like toolbox) to 'resuss' a player, emegency medical kit includes small amout of o2+power so victim dont get stuck in, resuss and auto die due too empty EVA pack loop,.. some o2+power then transferred and then victim has same penalties as mode 2, victim back on feet- then has to return to hab to get meds or continue..

Mode 4: Players that die, Get Immobilized, call for help and other players come to aid, with emegency medical kit, victim get stabilized, o2+power transfer, victim still immoblized, have a strecher type equipment on rover, have 'load player' option on strecher, have a 'load strecher' option to rover- transport back to hub, unload etc, 'load strecher' to medical bay- 'use medical bay' option- Player is resussed- Mode 2 penalties +   (sounds like a lot of hassle but makes for good resuce missions) time from 'death' to 'resuss' is unlimited

Mode 5: Players that die, same as above but time limit (20 mins?) if player not resussed/stabilized in time, then PERMA-DEATH muhahaha!

Of course, if solo or nobody about then above modes would have to be thought about-maybe like a 'auto resuss' option that victum uses but with massive penaties, also comms would have to be considered, range of radio links etc...

Interestingly, I remeber an old Aliens game on amiga- You could see other charchters health stautus- Be fun to have medi PC which shows players in range of comms, health, o2 status etc- with a nice little oscillicscope annimation of heartbeat.. oh no! player has flatlined, he cant use comms! locate and rescue mission needed :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:35:31 AM by thedubman »