Author Topic: Sounds on Mars?  (Read 11765 times)

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: Sounds on Mars?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 08:37:34 AM »
I agree, I know a girl who is deaf. But she loves dancing, I asked her (she can lip read) how can you dance if you can't hear? she signed out (her friend can read sign language) she can feel the vibrations.. ergo: pressure waves,vibrations,sounds..

pad69

• Mission Commander
  • The Robe Rules
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
Yep! ;D
Murphy's Law applies "Anything that can possibly go wrong, does." or some say it this way "If anything can go wrong, it will.

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
I agree, I know a girl who is deaf. But she loves dancing, I asked her (she can lip read) how can you dance if you can't hear? she signed out (her friend can read sign language) she can feel the vibrations.. ergo: pressure waves,vibrations,sounds..

Of course, but to her there is no sound.

She feels the vibrations but she does not translate them into sound.   If there existed no other organisms near a bell except her, She could feel the vibrations of it, but the bell would make no sound.

Because it must be translated by something to be considered a sound.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 07:44:54 PM »
Yes you are right.

But becouse somebody cant hear it don't mean the sound don't exist- but agree if a sound is heard by nobody then I guess the sound could not be proved it happened. But the disturbance in the air, the pressure wave did happen.

LOL I love the posts on these forums..

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
Yes you are right.

But becouse somebody cant hear it don't mean the sound don't exist- but agree if a sound is heard by nobody then I guess the sound could not be proved it happened. But the disturbance in the air, the pressure wave did happen.

LOL I love the posts on these forums..

Absolutely, the pressure waves happened, they existed, but pressure waves are not sound, they are what we translate as sound..

To Further clarify though...

Kinda think of it this way.. Radio waves, infrared, and visible light are no different other than their frequency, but since we cannot see the other ones, we do not call them colors or normally include them in light even though they should be.   The frequencies we cannot hear are called "Subsonic" or "UltraSonic" Meaning quite literally "Below Sound"  or "Above Sound" because without the ability to translate them into sounds they are not sound, they are pressure waves. Now yes, they are sound to certain creatures, but once again it does require the actual hearing of it to become a sound.

Proving it happened is not the requisite for it becoming sound, the actual hearing of it is.  IE:  Even though they call them "Sound meters" They do not "hear" they simply measure.  Sound is a subjective thing and it is entirely dependent upon the observer, or observers, and techniques like perceptual encoding that happens in MP3's allow the same sounds to be generated by different air moment patterns than the original.   

An MP3 on an oscilloscope would look VERY different than one from a raw concert or a wave file, and has massively different pressure changes, HOWEVER they SOUND the same, because the compression throws away pressures we can't hear, due to it being near another pressure level and it saves massive amount of space.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:37:09 PM by profit004 »

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
Fair comment ;D

It makes for good debate,. and all that from a post about the sound in MCO ;)

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 07:37:53 PM »
Hehehe.  It is a great game =)

I think we collect a massive number of really intelligent people here because of its subject matter as well.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »
Hehehe.  It is a great game =)

I think we collect a massive number of really intelligent people here because of its subject matter as well.

Yep indeed, and will be all the better with more ambient sound,.. Now If there was a sound in MCO and I was AFK when it happened, did it really happen?
ROFL Joking!

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 07:47:19 PM »
Wait a second!?
If I hear a sound in my head (that no one else heard) is it also a sound?! ;D
There are no preasure waves, yet if I can hear them it means they egsists! Is that right by your logic?  ;D

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 10:41:17 PM »
Wait a second!?
If I hear a sound in my head (that no one else heard) is it also a sound?! ;D
There are no preasure waves, yet if I can hear them it means they egsists! Is that right by your logic?  ;D
Correct.

In fact there are many conditions in which humans here sounds where there are no pressure waves. And yes they are sounds,  Tinnitus comes to mind, where people here a ringing in their ears constantly, however hearing things due to mental illness may also be sounds that exist to that person.

But just because it cannot be recorded, does not mean it is non-existent.  I am sure people who have fibromialga, and suffer from it significantly will assure you the pain is real... Even if there is no actual trauma to the tissue layers.

Whats important is the act of being interpreted by the brain.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:44:02 PM by profit004 »