Author Topic: Hello everybody!  (Read 3404 times)

tomash

• Apprentice
Hello everybody!
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
I just wanted to say hi to everyone on this forum. You are doing great job developing / testing MCO, I'm also impressed with discussions about Mars exploration around here.

I live in Poland, i'm a programmer, I study computer science.

I have discovered MCO few weeks ago while watching some online discovery movies about Mars,  I found an alpha testing movie by Marco2001 :) I've already played and completed both missions from online demo. It was cool, especially GPR resource discovery and rover driving :) I was playing alone, so sometimes carrying water was a bit boring, but still i liked the demo.

I am looking forward to seeing the MCO itself and meeting you during testing sessions. I will ask Hyper for login/pass in a minute.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: Hello everybody!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
Welcome Tomash!

There is so much more to see in the testing phase of MCO as opposed to the demo..

Hope to see you on the surface of Mars!

tomash

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »
I took a walk around Hyperia base and I think it's great. Here are some thoughts I wrote down while sightseeing:

+ Wow, this base is big :)
+ I was astonished how fast you dress into EVA suit :)
+ It's cool there is so many ways to get food - plants, worms, mushrooms, algae, fish etc.   
+ Compass is useful, I missed it in demo.
+ External EVA recharging outlets - very useful, good idea.
+ Some parts of the base are still in construction - nice :)
+ Sun rise is beautiful.
+ New rover is nice - oxygen/methane level meters, cargo bay. Hercules 1 lacked especially the cargo bay. However I more liked the old one's mesh. Hope Hyper will leave both designs available in final release :)

I have also a lot newbie questions:

? - Can I toggle mouse mode, so that looking around with mouse is permanent? It worked that way in demo. I prefer using mouse for navigating and 'u' key for using objects. Maybe free look option is designed for that, but I don't know how to use it...
? - Why is it so dark inside the base?   
? - The computer is no longer giving me orders in the panel on the right - it is by design, isn't it? I assume I have to remember about everything and check myself if panels are clean, hardware is still up etc.
? - What is chemdesk for?
? - Those big plants look great. How old should they be to give food, seeds or fertilizer here in MCO?
? - Ok i don't know anything about fish breeding, mushrooms, worms etc (when to harvest, how to treat)
? - Why a part of base is separated by airlocks - that part with fish/plants etc. Is it protection from contamination of Mars surface with earth life forms? Should I go in there in EVA suit only?
? - How can i take screenshots? I used PrintScreen key on the keyboard, but I see my HUD controls on them.
? - What's that huge tube outside the base? Looks like a rocket stage.
? - Are these reactors/generators a small nuclear power plant? Are PVPs still necessary?

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »
I will look into the mouse look routines when I can
There are light switches in the hubs or should be, still adding lights
No orders for now that is a work in progress
Chemdesk will be for testing food and water in the future
Pick plants over 1000
Farm area is lower pressure than the rest of the base, the lightweight plastic/glass can't hold as much pressure
Ctrl P screenshot
Rocket tube yes delivery from orbit, added it for effect, will have real drops in the future.
Thorium based mini nuke powers things but pv array is suplemental and is used for emergencies. The reactor runs 4 stirling engines for power one or all may fail so pv is necessary.
That help some?

tomash

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 05:29:12 AM »
Yes, that explains a lot :) Thanks.