Author Topic: Portable LIBS - (PORTA-LIBS) - idea  (Read 3849 times)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
Portable LIBS - (PORTA-LIBS) - idea
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »

Portable Laser Induced Breakdown Spectrometer (PORTA-LIBS)

The PORTA-LIBS-2000 is the first truly portable low cost analyzer that can be used for real-time qualitative measurements of trace elements. It can be used for dedicated applications in the field or just about anywhere. Portable high resolution EPP2000 spectrometers are integrated with a high intensity pulsed laser, and sample chamber, to permit UV-VIS- NIR spectral analysis of unknown samples. The portable instrument case is just 18 x 14 x 7 inches and operates via 12 volt adapter or battery. Detection requirements determine the number of required spectrometer channels. Up to 8 high resolution spectrometers can be attached via USB-2 computer interface with 0.1 or 0.2nm resolution.
http://www.stellarnet.us/PopularConfigurations_plasmasystems.htm

The integration of miniature fiber optic spectrometers with small high peak power laser transmitters has lead to the development of a low-cost portable analytical instrument capable of real-time qualitative analysis. LIBS (Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy) systems are now assembled with commercial off the shelf components to produce portable briefcase size elemental analyzers that are capable of sustained battery operation in remote field environments.
http://www.stellarnet-inc.com/public/download/PORTA-LIBS-Article.pdf

Quote from: wikipedia
Portable LIBS systems are more sensitive, faster and can detect a wider range of elements (particularly the light elements) than competing techniques such as portable x-ray fluorescence. And LIBS does not use ionizing radiation to excite the sample, which is both penetrating and potentially carcinogenic.
Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy - Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser-induced_breakdown_spectroscopy

Portable LIBS Instrumentation: A New Tool for Geoscience: http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=37997

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

Eldruin

• Captain
Re: Portable LIBS - (PORTA-LIBS) - idea
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »
now that's a kit you wouldn't leave your COHAB without!

nice find indeed ;)

Ivanpet

• MCOTest
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »
ok about PORTA-LIBS, then result from samples will can storage in the PORTA-LIBS memory device
until the player can do upload from PORTA to MAIN PC database,
so from time to time we must unload porta memory, like DRILS baterry load but reverse.

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »
I think thats a great idea. Players would have to think about that things in advance.
Morover - I think the battery must be recharged from time to time, like the drill.  ;D

EDIT:
I think that players should decide themselves whether they want to use Porta-LIBS in the field or to take a sample container instead.
Using PLIBS has an obvious advantages if you want to pinpoint exact location of the resource or when you explore far away from the base.
Taking sample container would be better if you make wide field study (for instance - you wish to map geologicaly the entire map). You just save the samples for later, and then use the HUB's normal-LIBS to determine they'r composition one-by-one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:33:37 PM by Marco2001 »

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:36:21 PM »
A porta libs could be the start of the sampling sequence,.. Ie sample taken -porta libs breaks down gives you 50% (2 of material found) is it worth using the main libs? depends on what you find..