Author Topic: Expandable base concept - Idea  (Read 2946 times)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
Expandable base concept - Idea
« on: October 29, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »

Expandable base concept
( buying and placing equipement modules for base )

The idea goes like that:
On start, players would have minimal equipement, some resources and a small base.
As they progress they will gather and refine resources, start manufacturing and eventually by selling they will make money.
Using that money and resources they have, they will make new modules for the base - that is now beying done in MCO (If I got something wrong, please make me know).

What I propose is that each base modules will be equiped with basic instruments only at start, and to have new ones you will have to buy them and instal them in one spot.
For instance - you have LIBS that will enable you to aquire geological data, but you don't have anything else.
As you'r base go richer, base commander orders new instruments for the base.
For instance - in order to detect life signs (I mean...in order to even HAVE A CHANCE to detect it) you will have to have MC-GS.
(you can check my other post to check on how you can detect life on mars ---> http://hyperkat.com/litterbox/index.php?topic=296.0)

How would players instal new equipement?
Her's how I see it.
Base commander orders specific instruments (using for instance macrologistics console I mentioned earlier ---> http://hyperkat.com/litterbox/index.php?topic=404.0).
This instrument is beying delivered by a shoutle.
Player would go get it. The equipement (for instance GC-MS) will be packed just like ore box, but with the exception to the ore box - player can carry it in his hand.
He then carrys the istrument-box to the module where it belongs.
NOTE that this specific instrument can go into this specific spot only.
When player reach the place where he needs to instal it, he holds the box in his left hand and clicsk "INSTAL" button (just like "LOAD" button for rover).
Instalment will take some time. When your done - you have a new equipement for your base, that cannot be picked up anymore at this point.

By using this idea players would have to gather money to buy upgrades for they'r base. THAT'S A MOTIVATION!
Morover - it will make players think what they want next, and act together as a team to get it!

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: Expandable base concept - Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »
Sounds like a perfect idea to me- If I can add to it, with larger equipment the storage box is carried on a rover (like an auger) and is backed up to the specfic spot (lets call it a hatch or access way clearly marked on the outside of a building) Players then use the 'Unload' function and the equipment box is placed (think of it being placed in the correct spot, extenal access is opened, equipment box is then moved in the correct postion with runners etc so u see about half of equipment box outside) players then go inside, access the equipment box (open internal hatch etc), select 'setup' 'install' etc  and/or with conjunction with hand held equip as Marco stated-and the euipment can then be used.  This would be for Pumps/batteries etc or other larger objects and/or equipment..