Author Topic: UV-light sterilization lamps in the airlock - Idea  (Read 5570 times)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
UV-light sterilization lamps in the airlock - Idea
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:22:28 PM »

UV-light sterilization lamps in the airlock

For safety of the crew, and to avoid contamining Mars with Earth bacteria,
there should be even a quick and simple sterylization procedure. The best candidate is UV radiation.
UV lamps are used to sterylize entrances at the bio-labs on Earth.
They need to be put from every side (to sterylize every surface of the suit), and they should be stronger on Mars
(becouse potential martian bacteria are used to UV radiation).
UV-lamps glow in blue colore. I think that this should be included inside the airlock.

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: UV-light sterilization lamps in the airlock - Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Nice idea..

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 02:43:23 AM »
If UV light is really what you are planning on using for sterilization why even bother?  Mars has no ozone layer... Little atmosphere, UV rakes that planet all day long whats 10 more seconds under the lights going to do that a full day of sun wont do?
 Unless the bacteria has been hiding under a rock or something it has long been exposed to incredible amounts of UV.

... Now I guess if you were looking under rocks... then maybe... now that I think about it.

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
As I said before - any sterylization procedure is better than no procedure at all. UV light used in the sterylization is different than that on the surface of Mars - it's hard UV-C and morover - it's thousands times stronger than the natural martian UV. Martian UV is soft UV-B of low - but constant - value. Some sterylization lamps claime that they can sterylize any surface in 10 sec.. Yet - we do not know what lives on mars, and how resiliant it is to UV. But at least we will be sure that MARS will not be contaminated with EARTH bacteria. UV sterylization is quick and requires no attention or action - it simply glows and kills everything inside the airlock. An astronaut simply will be sterylized while he waits for the airlock to be de/repreasurized. Morover - UV-C is safe for astronaut in space suit.

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
I think if man goes to Mars to live permanently the contamination issue goes out the window. We will shed our nasty bugs on the planet and nothing anyone can do to stop it. Bugs will hide on the equipment, exhaust air, bio matter any and all of it can and will escape. Clean rooms we had at AMD and even critical surgery procedures still will have contaminants. I dont see a way we can prevent it unless you autoclave everything in and out.