Author Topic: Seal-off modules for conserwing power and oxygen - Idea  (Read 3551 times)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
Seal-off modules for conserwing power and oxygen - Idea
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »

Shut-off modules for conserwing power and oxygen

Let's just say we started-up the base...we don't need at the beginning of the game some of the modules like: mining, farming, garage etc.. At the start - we are low on air and it's possible we will be low on power too. Her's an easy solution used in submarines: shut-down the sections of the base you don't need at the time.
Let's just say that each section needs 1kW of energy (for heat, ventilation, light etc.). By seeling-off 3 modules during dust-storm, we get 3.000 Wat''s of power, that can be used to support the basic modules, like Life Support Module.
But that's not all...each section is (for instance) 50 cubic meters of air. By sealing (depreasurizing) 3 out of 6 modules, we save oxygen and the air get's recycled quicker (the proces of creating air for the base is 50% quicker).
Sealing-off modules is easy...just close the hatch that the module have, depreasurize, and cut-off power. Inside, there will be very cold and with no air.
This idea doesn't even require that each module had a preasure/electric panel, becouse all modules get their air/power from the LSS module by vents or cables. Inside LSS there could be an air/power distribution panel, by which player can decide, which modules doesn't get's heated, and get's no fresh air. That section needs to be closed by airlocks off course.

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
Re: Seal-off modules for conserwing power and oxygen - Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »
While I am sure that this is how it will really be on mars, actually opening one of these doors after depressurization would be a thrill..

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: Seal-off modules for conserwing power and oxygen - Idea
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
I like this idea, imagine a rock fall or meteroite hitting the kitchen for example, we are venting air quickly and losing pressure- in a mass panic we seal off the kitchen area to save pressure we have else where. The damage is repaired (thats another story alltogether, erm how about going topside and filling with a resin and carbon firbe patch? you could see the venting so easy to find) and pressure is either re done or keeping one end of kitchen sealed and sealing off adjacent room we could 'move' the air about so it gets equal lower pressure until equlibrium, then build up both areas  till 'breather' safe..

But It would be cool to have a central control (climate control?) that allows shut off of power , it could be like a central control display or a panel on the wall of a room which allows players to switch off the power to a 'room' ie like the kitchen- conserving power use. This could help when power is low and batterys need charging..  I know this is easy to say Vs coding it, but we have a switch for a light, could we have a switch for power to the room???

Update: lol now I read through Marcos post properlly I realise that I just said what he did basically.. ;)