Author Topic: A idea for 'side mission' biological test  (Read 3717 times)

thedubman

• Mission Commander
A idea for 'side mission' biological test
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
Just read about something, growing mosses and lichens on a martian surface (terraforming)..

so as a side mission, how about we have a sealed glass chamber which can simulate the earth conditions and that of the martian surface, which players place mars soil,rocks (these are collected and sealed, then loaded into chamber)

Then attempt to grow lichens+mosses (brought from eath of course), altering the 'bio-chambers' conditions (atmoshphere mix/pressure, temp,humidity etc) to try a get the plants to take. The conditions could start earth like and be changed in stages to mars like

Mosses+lichens that sucseed in the chamber can be used/altered to 'breed' a stronger strain for next test.

why? its a side line, scientific quest to see if you can grow lichens/mosses on mars surface.
benifits? none really, maybe medicines, fishfood.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: A idea for 'side mission' biological test
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Nobody like this? I can see this being a real nice little experiment..

Consider in the bio lab/farm the sealed (with access to place material, and 'clean glove' access) 'aquarium' with soil and rocks brought from the surface, the 'bio-aquarium' is  set up for for extreme conditions, genetically engineered lichens, mosses etc are introduced and grown, from those experiments, the lichens etc are collected and next stage of conditioning is created until we get lichens etc that can be potentially grown on the Mars surface.. this has no real benift apart from giving players a 'scientific experiment' - you could even consider other life like genetically engineered cockroaches (@Hyper NOOOO! its come true lol u know what I mean)

Just an idea for the wanna be biologists in the sim.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:09:42 PM by thedubman »

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
hmmmm.....      i think, this one could be in an "add on".   special experiments and tests.   
they can be done, when all the "normal" work is done.  (set up the cohab,bio and geo work is stable and a far aera is allready explored....why not.    one day you will have done all the jobs....and then there is a sad point......the end                   not with add on.....

maybe there are micro organisms  found....great!!!  life on mars....so you can start  lots of more experiments.   

Volunteer for one-way-mission!

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
It is a good idea. Once I get the game mechanicals running I can take a look at such things.