Author Topic: Radio channels - Idea  (Read 6540 times)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
Radio channels - Idea
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
Radio communication (typing messages ;)) is very important for the life of the colony.
When there are 2-3 peeple on the server everything is ok...however...when there are 4 and more problems start.
Mainly - colony splits into WORKING GRUPS which discusses different stuff.
When they try to communicate one to another, chaos starts...Everyone talks about something else.
While it's not a problem with only few players, it's nearly impossible to talk normaly with 10+ peeple in the server.
(especially when everyone is doing something important).

There is an easy way however to avoid that: Radio Channels.

When you join a server you would standardly join "channel #1".
Players can also join other channels (#2, #3, #4 etc.).
Sometimes the last channel is an EMERGENCY channel - whoever uses it will be heard on other channels.
That's basicly it. How to switch chanells in-game? Simply click "channel *number*" above the chat-box.

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

Ivanpet

• MCOTest
  • Mission Commander
Re: Radio channels - Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:16:29 AM »
agreed ...this is very good idea

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
When the game goes out there will only be up to 4 playing on your server so it wont be much of an issue. Having separate chat channels is possible just other pressing issues for now.
I havent seen more than 4 in game at one time for a while so it never bothered me.
I would like to think you all would use Ventrillo or Teamspeak anyhow that would eliminate most issues and add to the realism

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
Teamspeak is a good way to go... a while back I found a program which converted your teamspeak playback to give some static hiss background  and a 'nasa, bleep when ever you spoke... I cant find that add on anymore, anybody here heard of it? would make for nice atmosphere.

Ivanpet

• MCOTest
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:39 AM »
agreed @Hyper&Marcus, a voice chat program with multichanel must be the best method to comunicate between colonists, in addition for Mars filling.

Crom

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:16:21 AM »
I used to spend a lot of time on the IVAO network for MS Flight sim. The software IVAO use for their client has an integrated feature for radio voice comms. It automatically switches your teamspeak channel when you select a new radio frequency on your radio stack. Exactly like tuning a radio to a different frequency. So if you have a list of frequencies for the colony (mission control, rovers, maintenance etc etc) and you implement the radio button idea mentioned by previous poster you would have a working and realistic comms system.
Of course you need to find out what the software is that does all this.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:07:55 PM »
That sounds nice crom. A channel could be dedicated to a players (ie rover etc) on mission- comms linked to certain mission. What aboput sound effects like static and bleep etc?

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21:40 PM »
okay.....that sounds good on the one hand.....

but otherwise: There allready is a teamspeak channel setup for us. i used it allready-  but fact is, that most of the time its idle because nobody use it.  a few people are able to write some sentences in english, but are not able to speak....   
most of the time the built in chat is used. even that test-session a few weeks ago with 4-5 players the chat was enough to get it right. i only was a bit confused about 2 people talking russian...but that was okay.
I agree that voicechat with special effect(radiovoice...rogerbeep and so on) would be nice...but i think its not really nessessary....
Volunteer for one-way-mission!

Crom

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
That sounds nice crom. A channel could be dedicated to a players (ie rover etc) on mission- comms linked to certain mission. What aboput sound effects like static and bleep etc?

Yeah there is a program to add voice static and clicks. I dont recall the name but I have a friend who will know.
To outzoner, I agree, it's not totally necessary to have voice comms, but it adds a level of immersion and realism to those who want to use it. If there is already TS server then it costs nothing but a bit of time and effort to implement the idea and enhance the experience.

EDIT: The program for TS is called TS Noise (google it). I am waiting to find out if there is a TS3 compatable version.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:47:30 PM by Crom »

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
If you think about it, mutiple channel comms could be done with TS as standard (just exit main and go on sub) but having software to allow in game easy channel switching (better if 3rd party and on TS) would make for great realisum- as earlier example 2 players assign themselves to GPR mission and switch to 'mission channel' that means other players wont have to hear the "go left 2 meters,.. try there" etc while others are planting seeds etc will help stop confusion and add to the seriousness. Other players if they should be able to switch to that channel as and when they wished so they can ask questions etc.

Main HAB Channel- general while in HAB vicinity , Mission Channel 1,2,3 etc- while on mission, Rover channel - all rovers, emergency channel- allways everywhere. That may seem a bit too much but general ideas, I am sure we can set this on TS.

Crom

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
I theres a program similar to TS overlay ( or it could be that) which allows you to switch channels by clicking a tab and see who is talking without the hassle of having to alt-tab out of sim/game. Basically this whole idea can probably be set up by any standard user with the right client side software. It would require no coding etc and can be set up only by those who wish to have the functionality. Simples :p

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 05:06:30 AM »
....i think we should keep an eye on that. 

@CROM....this proggy to get the soundFX would be cool,    isnt there a function in TS3, where you can assign a hotkey for special channels?(COHAB=F5,ROVER=F6)

i got ts3 installed, but hey,you know-setup and use....i didnt have a look into the "specials" .

Volunteer for one-way-mission!