Author Topic: IDEA: POI´s on the MAP??  (Read 7830 times)

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
IDEA: POI´s on the MAP??
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
got following idea....

is it possible to build in a fuction, that enables players to put a "point of interest" or a mark in the map?
maybe plus the ability for small text?

e.g:  i  want to mark the place where i stranded with rover. because i am alone on server, i am not able to give the position  to anybody.  so before i logg off , i can place a coloured mark on the map thats placed on my actual position, maybe with a very short text. "breakdown rov2".

so if somebody else loggs in, he can see this mark and is able to react.   the marks should be limited of course...
Volunteer for one-way-mission!

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
Re: IDEA: POI´s on the MAP??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:33:41 PM »
Yeah I want to put a reporting mechanism in place but thats alot of data to transfer or can be. I see a log that gets passed to users that request it and keep like 20 entries or so. Almost like a tweet limit to 64 characters?

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »
In the sim a  Pc display with Hypertweet type updates, which players can add to be real nice. Players could update HAB status, explain where things are (coords), and general banter. Players open up page, read latest entries and post and update or new topic.... would make for good recordkeeping and morale.

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
It would be nice if such a log would have to be downloaded to you'r EVA suit in order to see it (just like update button).

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »
@ Hyper....well,  i know that might be lots of work-  but that is your part, you have to decide if that fits....thanx god, i dont have to programm this ;)
maybe there are 10 markers you can set...   not for each player...over all i mean!   you have to decide, wich one is up do be deleted-so you can place your own.    Yes,   i think everybody should get the ability to delete markers- they are not privat!     So if i found a lost item, or checked the marked place or whatever it was set for- i can delete it.  so the data that is transfered is limited.....    and it pushes the "teamwork"-idea....because the 10 markers are for the mission...not for the player, you know what i mean.  

@ Marco and @thedubman:
well.....i ask for a thing like this before.....something like a logbook.   it could be displayed at the terminals,where you can see the status of the comm-towers.  but to load it to the eva suit is already there: your "work orders!"   i guess it was the "o"-key....   the menu pops up to the left.....

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 10:50:15 AM by outzoner »

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »
@Outzoner, yes I agree some of the systems are in there (workorders etc) and logbook is good Idea too- I was thinking more in terms how it is presented (like a part of a computer program or webpage within the game) to give 'atmosphere'. A nice thing to look at while you get data.

EnchaJini

• Private
    • Gamers Revolution
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »
do currently the Mobile Comm Towers appear on the map? if not maybe a specific icon on the Map to identify their where abouts.

as if they have a Transmitter included.

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
Check the comm.-console in the Weather and Communications module.

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »
@ EnchaJini       eeeehm......isnt a comm-tower a  transmitter anyway???    but yes...as marco allready said-look at console...

@thedubman     yes....the thing with a bit more "atmosphere"....i know what you mean.  I loved the
computer-console in the demo....lots of information, maybe a menu there for the logbook...maybe on the same console where you find the comm-towerpositions or the POIs....  

thats what i am missing anyway.....a part like a control-room...maybe placed a bit higher just like a tower...but this is going to far now...  
I guess these are the things that are in focus when everything works....then we can do the "finetuning"...and i guess there will be many ideas to get more mars-ambiente in it.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:47:58 AM by outzoner »

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
A note about the Portable Comm Towers. I guess you all misunderstand the use for these towers. They are portable meaning you dont need them to be set up unless you are out of site of the base. Go way out over a hill and hit the M key and you get no map. So the towers were intended to be set up so you can get map access when working in a remote area. They dont "need" to be set up, they are a tool for you to use.

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »
A note about the Portable Comm Towers. I guess you all misunderstand the use for these towers. They are portable meaning you dont need them to be set up unless you are out of site of the base. Go way out over a hill and hit the M key and you get no map. So the towers were intended to be set up so you can get map access when working in a remote area. They dont "need" to be set up, they are a tool for you to use.

i though they have to be placed somewhere on a high hill to spread the signal from base....
that means i can take it with me when i am away for some drills and take it back afterwards??

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:59:34 AM »
Since we have only 3 of them, and we rarely go to the edges of the map, it's better outzoner to simply place them in the best possible places near the base where the signal fades. Those sites are on top of the mountain.
Here you see some of the sites I marked as potentialy good.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2862/mcccommtowersplacement.jpg

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
Since we have only 3 of them, and we rarely go to the edges of the map, it's better outzoner to simply place them in the best possible places near the base where the signal fades. Those sites are on top of the mountain.
Here you see some of the sites I marked as potentialy good.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2862/mcccommtowersplacement.jpg

WELL.....this is exactly how i used them all the time.....     i startet to place them round the base-somewhere on a high mountain.....      but its true.....there are places between the hills with no signal....there you need a tower to get connected...
 ???

i think that will be a learning by doing thing...................

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
When I plan a mission to go on a geology run I look at the map and decide where I will go test. I find the best place to put the tower so I can see it from the base and the testing area. Problem in the past here is the map doesn't match the topography so I have fixed that. 6.22 will have the new topo map and you can even look at it out of game as it will show USGS type elevation bands so you can plan better.
My mission pack is usually 2 GPR 1 comm tower and 1 core drill.

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »
@hyper

so i have missunderstood this commtower-thing.....   okay.... 

so i will use them like you explained.....

I really hope server stays on over the weekend. right now i am in hungary to work--and this laptop i am using is not mine-so i am not allowed to download the client and run it...i have to wait till saturday morning...   (arriving friday night 23:30 at home)

please dont pull the plug before...... ;)