Author Topic: Server setup behind a router.  (Read 3443 times)

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
Server setup behind a router.
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »
Hyper asked me to write up how I set up my server behind a router and was able to make it work, so this will be a quick tutorial.

You need to know what a router is, so you can understand why these steps are important.  A router is a Network Address Translation device, (NAT) which allows a single IP address on the internet to be shared by many computers.      Outgoing connections are easy to make with this kind of setup because the NAT can see which computer they are coming from and keep the connection open while passing data back and forth.   Incoming connections though have a problem.  They dont know what computer to send the data to, so we have to tell it.

The first thing you will need is your LOCAL IP address.   You can get it by running ipconfig at a command prompt and it will display it like so:

The next thing you will need to do is access your router's setup..   Most likely it is 192.168.0.1 but it can be anything, you will see it's IP most likely using ipconfig as the "Default Gateway"
You can see mine happens to be 192.168.1.1 in the image above.

Punch in your routers IP in a web browser and it should open a configuration page.   In my router the page is called "Virtual servers" In most it is called "Port forwarding"  Click on that and it will bring up a sub menu close to this.

Add your LOCAL IP address and the port numbers you wish to forward to the table and that will allow incoming connections on those ports to be routed to your machine.  Make sure you set up the range of port numbers, I used 28000 to 28004 as mine, but I think it is only necessary to go to 28002. Just wanted to make sure.

Here is the part I kinda cheat,  Because I am behind a NAT, most things on the internet cannot reach me anyhow, so I just shutdown my windows firewall completely when I want to run a server.    You can set it up if you have other machines on your local network you dont trust, but for me it is just simpler to kill it and remove it from the equation entirely.

Now in order to give your external IP adress so others can find your server, I use www.whatismyip.org  and it kicks back my Internet IP address (Not local one) of 67.177.155.37

And that is all there is to it.   I am running winders 7 64-bit  with UAC on medium settings, I shutdown my firewall, and I am patched to the latest patches.

The current specs on my machine are:
AMD Athlon BE-2400 (Ancient) with 4 gigs of ram and a 750GB hard disk.
I have a PNY Nvidia 9800 GT with 1024MB of VRAM.   And I was running the game in the unsupported 800x600 mode since my monitor is old and I didn't feel like going full screen because I was doing other things =p ( it is one of the first LCD monitors ever made for desktops, and is pushing 12 years old. )
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:18:26 PM by profit004 »

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
Re: Server setup behind a router.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
cool Howto.....i guess i have to  shut down my routers firewall, my computer has Zonealarm, and the sim got all rights there...so it should work. but i will check that later....    thanxxx!!!! 8)
Volunteer for one-way-mission!