Author Topic: Full Installation Bug?  (Read 5272 times)

kyleus

• Private
Full Installation Bug?
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:11:15 PM »
Hi - Congrats on the full version release!

I just bought it.  After installation, I got 2 errors: System Error - X3DAudio1_6.dll is missing.  And Unable to load Engine.dll.  It recommends ensuring that latest Directx is installed.  I checked and I have the latest for my machine: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 with DirectX 11. [Intel i7 975 3.33GHz 12 GB RAM].  I should note I never had any problems with the beta or demo versions.

Anything else I should do or look for?

Thanks.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
Re: Full Installation Bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
get the DirectX 9.0c runtimes, they wont interfere with the dx 11 stuff

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

let me know right away

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:35:33 PM »
I never considered that someone may be installing this on a fresh system that has not had directx 9.0c installed on it.   ....  Which is really dumb on my part as a beta tester because I was on another beta with this EXACT same problem =/

You can include the directx files with the distribution and call them like this ->

path-to-redistributable\dxsetup.exe /silent

That should kill this problem for anyone else who happens to have not installed directx.

kyleus

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 09:41:53 PM »
Installed DirectX 9.0c as directed.  That resulted in the same missing .dll errors.  I researched Microsoft Answers blog and found that:

1) It's not important whether your video card supports DirectX 11 or not. As listed in the Windows 7 system requirements, all video cards that support DX 9 and higher ... work fine with Windows 7. The only thing you can't expect is to run DX 11 only features with a card that doesn't support them (some games MAY need those, that's all - usually you're not forced to use a DX 11 mode).

2) Your question "If I reformat my computer to restore to Vista 64 bit, will I have the option of using DirectX 9.0c instead of 11?" is just as fictitious as Vidyaranjan's answer "If you really want DirectX 9.0c on your computer, you will need to downgrade to Windows XP". If you're missing some files of Dirext X 9.0c, download the Web Installer and install them (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35). Doing this will only add missing files - which your game may need but aren't included in Windows 7 out of the box - but not touch anything from already present DirectX files. It's fantasy that different DirectX versions couldn't coexist on the same system, the core files for DX 9 and DX 10 are even included in Windows 7 to allow older video cards to run it.

I used the above referenced link (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35) to "add missing files".  That worked and the game appears to be working. 

Hope my Win7/64-bit resolution helps in future releases

-kyleus

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:34:03 AM »
Never saw that issue, I have a xp, xp64, vista, windows 7 and windows 8 machine here for testing and it installed and ran on all of them with the 9.0c runtimes with no issues.
Sorry for the trouble...

rditto48801

• Mission Commander
  • Wait, this isn't Duna.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »
From what little I know on the subject (from other gaming forums), people usually recommend the redistributable version for (re)installing DirectX 9.0c files, not the runtime version.
I have been told the redistributable have 'all' the files, even ones left out of later versions. To put it simply, the runtime probably doesn't have 'backward comparability' for older programs in mind.
I have actually had to use a redistributable version of DirectX 9 to install files left out of the runtime version, because the latest runtime at the time had left out files needed for older games.

Another thing of note.
The Runtime linked to in Hyper's post is from 2007, and does not list Windows 7 within the supported operating systems.

The latest redistributable I found is from June 2010, and does list Windows 7 within the supported operating systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.

Doctor Watson; Proving that being wrong means being one step closer to being right.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
My bad there I meant the redistributable rather than the runtimes. Thanks for the correction rditto. Until the masses switch up above xp, the least common denominator for DX will be the 9.0c so that will be the case for a while and as I stated earlier it should not intefere in any way with win7,8 .