Author Topic: I am fairly new to MC:C, and have a few comments and questions.  (Read 12624 times)

burki12

• MCCS Test
  • Private
Re: I am fairly new to MC:C, and have a few comments and questions.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 12:24:07 AM »
Try to make it so it drops on the ground. Thanks for the auger patch.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
Well it does drop to the ground but now I see I have to add yet another boolean to see if your character is mounted.

Does the patch make the auger work for you?

rditto48801

• Mission Commander
  • Wait, this isn't Duna.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 10:23:07 AM »
Well it does drop to the ground but now I see I have to add yet another boolean to see if your character is mounted.

Does the patch make the auger work for you?

Wait, there's a patch out now?
I must have missed mention of it being released.
Where do I check to see if a patch has been released?

Where do I get the patch? Or do I basically redownload/reinstall the game?
Were any other bugs fixed other than the auger issue?

I just found out the other day I could carry something while entering the rover. Nice to know I shouldn't save and quit while carrying something while in the rover.

Now that I think about it, I kind of forgot I got a list of bugs and other oddities I have run across playing MC:C. Should I create a new thread for them? Most of them are minor.  At least one is not so minor, but is stumbled upon by accident.
I also got a list of possible suggestions of things to add or tweak.

Two things the forums could probably use.
First, a new sub-forum for tech support and bug reporting.
Second, a sticky topic informing of new releases and what has been fixed/changed. When a new update is released, a new thread is made and stickied, while the previous one is un-stickied. The release threads could double as a place for people to point out any bugs that might have slipped into a new release.
A forum for another indie game I play uses such a setup, and it seems to work fairly well.
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.

Doctor Watson; Proving that being wrong means being one step closer to being right.

burki12

• MCCS Test
  • Private
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
Yes the patch works, its was emailed to me.

rditto48801

• Mission Commander
  • Wait, this isn't Duna.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »
Ah, yes, email...
It's been a few days since I checked that...  ::)

Edit 3:
Oops, forgot I had MC:C running and minimized at the main menu, that's probably why my anti-virus was trying to stop the patch from running... re-ran the patch to be safe after exiting MC:C... *face palm*

Edit 4:
Started game. confirmed 1.05. Loaded my mission, went to the garage, backed the rover with auger out of the garage (only about 10m), got out, and the auger unloaded first try. I re-mounted it, parked it back in the garage (did a lot last session so I need to shed rads some more), went inside to 'save and quit' to make an update post... and the game crashed when exiting the session. (I backed up the log after the crash occurred)

Edit 5:
No further crashes have occurred after a few more sessions. Aside from minor issues (or just stuff with secondary factors I haven't identified yet), things seem to be working fine.

On the continuing subject of bugs, where should I put info from notes I got on bugs, possible bugs, possible text mixups/wording, etc, I have encountered through my game sessions with MC:C? Should I make a new thread for that stuff so this one doesn't get to bloated with stuff?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:12:11 PM by rditto48801 »

Doctor Watson; Proving that being wrong means being one step closer to being right.

burki12

• MCCS Test
  • Private
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »
any guestimate on the new patch?

rditto48801

• Mission Commander
  • Wait, this isn't Duna.
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
I want to report some unusual stuff with solar power since I updated to 1.05.

First, a trip to clean solar panels showed that they seemed to already be at their max output, cleaning didn't have any affect. I originally figured I might have just had some 'clear' weather that didn't cause them to get dirty.

Just now (a day or two after the 'don't need cleaning' thing), I noticed solar power on the control panel shows 0.00. I backed out and clicked on it again, and it showed just 0.18, and it was mid to late day. I went up to the roof, and noticed something odd. Some of the solar panels are reading 0.00 output, while a few others are showing 6.x energy as if they had not been cleaned in a day or two.
Cleaning the 0.00 rated panels causes them to go back to showing their usual expected power output.
Is this unusual, or are their periods where they won't collect dust, and periods where they can collect so much dust they go to 0.00 power output?
Is there a period of time in which they just 'click' from 'clean' to 'dirty'? that might explain why they were still clean before (not long enough since I last cleaned them for them to get dirty?), but 'very dirty' about 1.5 or 2.5 days later? Or is dust buildup gradual over time?

Edit:
The problem with the solar panels seems to have corrected itself. My latest check of the solar panels showed things back to normal. The ones I cleaned (both reduced output and 0 output ones) were at 20.x output, the ones previously showing 0.00 and not cleaned or that were dirty before and not cleaned, were now at 5.x output. The power control panel also showed more normal power levels (a bit over 3.x for solar, about right for roughly half clean and half dirty solar panels)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:56:44 PM by rditto48801 »

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
Dirt on the solar panels is a semi random event as follows:
The wind changes speed and direction depending on the external pressure. If the wind comes from the north its more likely to clean them some. Wind from the south tends to make them dirtier. Angles in between cause various levels. Winds from the east tend to make some on the east side a bit cleaner.. etc you can see the math issue. Then I randomize that a bit since not all wind has dirt. Storms will cause more dirt or less depending on directions.. You all dont realize the math horrors I went through to make this sim...

I made  a new header in the forum RELEASE BUGS and ISSUES

rditto48801

• Mission Commander
  • Wait, this isn't Duna.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
Ah, so it is not unusual for dusty wind to 'bury' the solar panels so they produce 0.00 energy, even in mid to late day when clean ones put out 20 or so?

It makes me think of the two solar powered rovers on Mars (Spirit and Opportunity, iirc). I recall one having trouble with power until a bit of wind cleared off some of the dust built up on its solar panels.
It also makes me wonder if a Mars colony could recover them and/or Curiosity and refit them, or use modified versions of them, to act as couriers between outposts, or to help reduce manpower requirements for some operations by assisting with prospecting/surveying missions... Slap an RSG/RTG system in the back of a manned rover with some portable solar panels, stack of batteries, and a rack of maybe 4 Spirit/Opportunity type rovers for collecting soil and rock samples to be tested with full sized equipment back at base.
Heck, using something like Curiosity as a base for a mobile recharge station for smaller automated rovers, perhaps with deployable solar panels and such for extra power output as it sits and the smaller units wander around doing their thing before returning to recharge so they can get more done in less time without being purely limited by their own solar power limits.  So many potential things that could be possible for missions to Mars.
I wonder if one proposed Moon rover (one with 'airlocks' designed for the large backpack equipped space suits) would be viable on Mars with some tweaking, as both transport and mobile ELS for teams operating far from base for extended periods of time.
Or adapting 'powered exoskeleton' tech, like the military and Japan are researching/developing for Mars use, something that could provide resistance to keep muscles toned and generate power, or use power to help support/move extra weight for heavy labor tasks.

My brain would probably melt trying to understand half the math needed in a simulation like MC:C.