Author Topic: Questions: Differences between demo and full version  (Read 11514 times)

LostMartian

• MCCS Test
  • Captain
Questions: Differences between demo and full version
« on: December 21, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »
Hey. I'm new here. I discovered this game (Mars Colony Challenger) less than a month ago, and I've been playing the demo for less than a week. I've played more than 10 hours of the demo at this point, so I'm thinking I'm better off picking up a full copy of the game instead of playing the demo more. However, the demo has a few bugs, some are game breaking, so I'm wondering if those have been fixed and if this game is worth it? I like the idea of what this game could be but I'm not sure this game is going to become that game.

1. I've encountered a number of bugs. Some of those bugs include losing important parts of the life support (was game breaking), losing water containers you can carry around, and occasionally encountering a CO2 and Oxygen warnings (resulting in damage) despite the base have good reserves on life support (this has happened enough times that I now carry my EVA suit even in the base).
Containers have been removed, by the time Frontier hits the scene most of that would be handled by pipe. The older engine couldn't sample where the player was fast enough to see a player inside

2. Testing the game. I've read on these forums that the game does have testers. Do you need to buy a copy to get involved? I got kinda confused after reading the forums. I'll try to double check later. I have experience with testing games, so I figured I would ask.
Testers are invited to run the master server version only to test new systems. You want on the list?

3. Is some content locked out of the demo? I'm kinda wondering this because I've tried to make stuff in the repair module, but I can't seem to do anything with them. Not even the NPK fertilizer kit. I also can't seem to update objectives or override the air lock.
Yes some content was locked out, demo was just a sample of action

4. Is there more to this game than what is in the demo? The mission seems to have 7 phases, and more of the base is built for each phase. The demo is on phase 6, so I seem to have had the luxury of being able to do most of the stuff possible in the game, such as find minerals or grow food. It seems to be a good point to do a demo as most of the content is available to be played with, but I don't know if there is much left to do if I picked up the full copy of the game.
Challenger was created to show the struggle of building the first base on Mars. You task is to complete the job at hand before you can move on to the next. The build order was one that made the most sense so it was all done mission based.

5. How open are the devs to suggestions? For instance, I think that the biology lab should have room for 4 algae tanks so I can grow all algae types at once. Get rid of one of the worm tubs and you should have plenty of space for more algae tanks.
Frontier will let you build 8 units if you wish. Players can build base, add modules they want or not. Please read the info on frontier.
I hope I have answered all your questions.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:53:49 AM by Hyper »

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
Re: Questions: Differences between demo and full version
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
Thanks for your interest in the game. Not sure what the state of the demo was since it released 3 years ago. Challenger had some issues and we will have another look at it when time permits. Frontier was the second in the series and added more activity than Challenger. Devs are always open to constructive comments.
The limited space for algae was planned to force the user to play smart. Ask yourself what you need then try to manage with limited space. The restrictions added more "challenge" to the game.
If you want to test Frontier I will put you on the list and when the next test cycle comes up you can run with us...

LostMartian

• MCCS Test
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm not going to get many answers to my questions.
Please read the responses above in red. I hope all your questions and been answered in a satisfactory manner.

I suppose I could post my impression and feedback of the game based upon the demo. I'll go shift my focus to frontier since that is what is being worked on right now.

I think that limited space for algae is counter productive for a self sustaining colony. A colony really should be able to provide all its needs. It wouldn't be so bad if you could create your own algae starter kits as it would give you the option to change your mind. In contrast, you don't have the same limitations for growing plants or fish, or for mining resources. Even if you run out of GPR charges, you could always find new resources the hard way (I pulled that off a few times). You had limitations for worms and mushrooms, but that was largely because of a lack of any ability to make new nutrients for them (at least I haven't figured out how to produce more) so algae was better off.

I'll be happy to test Frontier. I'll make a point to show up when needed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:54:53 AM by Hyper »

LostMartian

• MCCS Test
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
I was going to post a review of the demo, but then I tried to review everything in great detail and it was becoming very long. I would be probably be better off saving that energy for the testing. For all I know, everything I was going to complain about has already been fixed in Frontier. My second try is much shorter.

Overall, this game seems to be aiming to be a simulator of a small Mars colony. Not an established colony, but one that you are helping to build and bring online. It is a game where the environment is not hospitable to you, where the only protection from the environment is your EVA suit and the colony itself. The colony itself provides long term survival, allowing you to produce water, food, oxygen, fuel for your rover, etc; as well as a safe place to take off your EVA suit and recover. Between the EVA suit and the rovers, you have considerable mobility outside the base, with the inevitable increase in hunger, thirst, radiation, and consumption of fuel being the reasons to return home.

Much of the equipment you get in game appears to have been built to be robust and stupid simple, not complex and automated. There are no hardware stores you can travel to get equipment fixed or replaced. No computer technicians to fix your computer problems. Consequentially, you should expect to need to turn things back on from time to time, be cleaned on occasion, or be repaired every so often. You will often need to carry things around your base, such as water containers to water your plants, or bring food back to the freezer.

One should keep in mind that this demo appears to have been made before the game was complete. So bugs like being unable to make nutrients for worms or mushrooms, or losing important items when attempting repairs, are to be expected. Sometimes this can break the game, making it difficult to do anything else in the game. I found that I could start things over by uninstalling and reinstalling the demo. This will delete all progress, so you will start playing again as though you never played before.

LostMartian

• MCCS Test
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »
I have more questions but your answers thus far have been helpful.

Sure, sign me up. I want to give the test builds a try. When is the next test? How long apart are the tests? Can I play around with a build once the new stuff has been tested? Is there anything I should do to prepare?
As new versions, bug fixes get worked on we test before release to Steam. January will probably be next testing run.

How many versions are there in this game series? I have seen Challenger and Frontier having been listed on this website, but I've seen videos for what appear to be a landed rocket ship for a base and searching for water being a major objective. Like you were one of the first people to arrive.
Go read this http://hyperkat.com/scratchbox/index.php?topic=895.0 Currently working on Frontier but we may backtrack at some point and update the older versions

Where is the best place to buy these games? Your website only seems to list Challenger for sale, but both Challenger and Frontier are listed on Steam. However, the Steam reviews seem to be mixed at best. This has left me a little confused. Is there any differences between the Steam copy and the one on your store?
Best place to buy is through Steam. If you have issues with Steam I have a package to sell directly. Some people dont like Steam.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 08:36:34 AM by Hyper »

LostMartian

• MCCS Test
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 05:06:58 PM »
Ok, thanks for the replies

I don't like Steam. I can use it, but I usually prefer to go buy my games somewhere else. I prefer to get my games at Good Old Games ( www.gog.com ) over anywhere else. They're doing well and I think they have a good rep.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:50:47 PM by LostMartian »

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 06:11:23 PM »
Soon as time permits I will have the Frontier game up on my site for sale
Thanks....

LostMartian

• MCCS Test
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
Please do. I would like to have more options as to where to get these games.

Also, if you have time, could you also make the demos available on your site? Somehow, I managed to find the demo of challenger, but not explorer.