Author Topic: Search for life on Mars - idea  (Read 5287 times)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
Search for life on Mars - idea
« on: April 17, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »

Search for life on Mars

There are 2 types of organism for a biologist to study: live ones and extinct ones.

I can't tell you how to search for fossils on Mars, becouse not many people know that at all. As far as I know - you simply must take a grounds sample from a randome site that preferably has mineral that could conserve it (Halit?) and it must be taken from very deep (deeper than normal resources are found). Then you just study them opticaly in a microscope (normal? electron?) and hope for any luck you found anything you can recognize. My paleobioogy profesor also said that it could be better to search for microfossils. In that case you would have to grind the sample first. Desolve it. Wortex it. Preferrably - purify it if possible (many methodes) and then spin so the microfosils sediment and study them.

Anyway. I did my research (combined it with MCO experience) and made this scheme of how could search of present life in MCO run.
As you could see it's very logical, and anyone could understand it, but it's VERY hard to do (many steps). That in fact is desired becouse searching for life is extremely difficult. It would be terrible if a noobie came to a serwer and on his first day of gameplay found life on Mars ;D
If someone found life in MCO he would be a little hero in the community  :D

All of this is real and exists for today.

LIBS - you know it from MCO.

"UREY" Experiment - (Mars Organics + Oxidant Detector) - "The Mars Organics Detector searches for amino acids, nucleobases, and polyaromatic hydrocarbons in the collected samples with extremely high sensitivity (ppt). Can also function as front-end to the GC-MS. The Mars Oxidant Instrument determines the chemical reactivity of oxidants and free radicals in the soil and atmosphere."

More ---> http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=966

GC-MS - "To conduct a broad-range, very high-sensitivity search for organic molecules in the collected samples; also for atmospheric analyses."

More ---> http://www.se-source.com/varianGCMS.htm
More ---> http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/V/VikingGCMS.html

Life-Marker Chip - (LMC) - "Antibody-based instrument to detect organic molecules with very high specificity".

More ---> http://robots.open.ac.uk/space/LMC.html

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
Re: Search for life on Mars - idea
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »
Wonderfull ideas, great effort too.. would make for a intersting experiment.

Ivanpet

• MCOTest
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
great post Marco I like your thinking

geoffcartwright

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »
excellent marco - i was researching along those lines too

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
It is already there, have to fix bugs first

geoffcartwright

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »
excellent- so what isnt already in or planned to be in i wonder. we seemed to be always behind the design team with our ideas :)

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »
I would give you the list but might spoil the supprise.
There is life in the Hyperia zone now I wont say where it is but even if you find it the equipment is not in place to detect it.
I want to add other things but right now I have to get the bugs fixed, that is a priority....
I am also building out the Mars Colony:Surveyor game so I have no life....

pad69

• Mission Commander
  • The Robe Rules
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »
I would give you the list but might spoil the supprise.
There is life in the Hyperia zone now I wont say where it is but even if you find it the equipment is not in place to detect it.
I want to add other things but right now I have to get the bugs fixed, that is a priority....
I am also building out the Mars Colony:Surveyor game so I have no life....

Yikes! get a life rofl ;D
Murphy's Law applies "Anything that can possibly go wrong, does." or some say it this way "If anything can go wrong, it will.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »

..That would be Marco's intensive bug list then, its so big that it has created its own eco system between the words, LOL Joking ;D