Author Topic: Solar Observatory System (S.O.S.)  (Read 3578 times)

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
Solar Observatory System (S.O.S.)
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »

Solar Observatory System (S.O.S.)
( Proposal of adding SOS to MCO. The SOS is simply speaking a telescope protected by a dome on top of the martian base. The telescope is alvays pointed at the Sun. Additionaly it can move randomly at night for astronomical study )

The S.O.S. framework will be represented by a series of Radio and optical telescopes connected together with reliable communications links as an "observation system", including interferometric instruments, as needed, which will alert the Moon Colonists to react on short notice in case of imminent dangerous solar particle events or hazardous micro meteoritic activity.

The Components:

1. Stationary Radio telescopes and Optical telescopes: Earth based, Moon Based, and on and around other celestial bodies
   2. Orbital Radio telescopes and Optical telescopes: Spacecrafts in different orbits in order to cover a wide range of observation, this can include Earth, Moon and other Solar System orbits.

In this phase 1 study, the first Lunar Based Solar Telescope is presented as a spacecraft that is remotely landed in a 100 ft. diameter crater, close to the Colony Site in the Malapert / Shackleton Area at the South Polar Region of the Moon.

A folded optics reflecting telescope, with a stationary 24" aperture primary mirror is placed within the spacecraft at the end of a deployable light structure truss. A heliostat deployed on the other end of this truss /extendable boom tracks the sun. The instrument uses laser beams and microwave radio communication devices to hook up to the base and the other SOS elements. See Fig. 4.

Fig.4. Phase I Solar Observatory System Elements Deployed at Shackleton Base in the lunar South Pole contains a solar telescope and a micro meteoritic early warning device.
From: http://www.spacefuture.com/archive/elements_for_a_sustainable_lunar_colony_in_the_south_polar_region.shtml

I propose that on top of our base, on comm.& weather module there is a telescope dome with a telescope with it, that will track the sun as it travels around the sky.

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

pad69

• Mission Commander
  • The Robe Rules
Re: Solar Observatory System (S.O.S.)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:43:25 AM »
I Like it!
Murphy's Law applies "Anything that can possibly go wrong, does." or some say it this way "If anything can go wrong, it will.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
I Like it!

As do I... Marco is top man for ideas and suggestions!

Van Clan 101

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
I think its a good idea for a obseratory as it will give the players something to do when theres nothing to do in the base.