Author Topic: Something about realism  (Read 4398 times)

Sidonai

• Private
Something about realism
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
I want to say about the motion of our characters in the simulator. Gravity on Mars 0,38 G. And how the characters walks like on Earth, with our 1G? I find some simple type of mirtian simulator - Race To Mars "Mission two". I think there is movement of the astronauts are reproduced correctly. May be I'm wrong?) Let's discuss =)

Ivanpet

• MCOTest
  • Mission Commander
Re: Something about realism
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
Gravity diference is compensated by EVA suit weight, it is possible right ?

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »
The EVA suit should not add that much, but it will add a lot of stiffness and some other limiting factors, but yes I was noticing when the rover was going over some extreme bumps the acceleration due to gravity is about 10-15m/s^2 Which is nearly the same or up to about 50% more than what is on earth.

The rovers would be extremely difficult to control at a fast speed in actual martian gravity.

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:30:54 PM »
Gravity diference is compensated by EVA suit weight, it is possible right ?

Absolutely not. Weight dosn't effect at all the gravitational acceleration. That's why 1 g will fall exactly as fast as 1 t of mass.

Gravity on Mars 0,38 G. And how the characters walks like on Earth, with our 1G?

Essentialy you are correct. Yet in Mars Colony it's hard to notice it, since there is no jump option. However - when you jump from a mountain or the habitat or drive a rover - you see that clearly.

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
Soon as I can get $10k to get in to a motion capture studio and the time to do it, I can fix that. But for my wants and needs I think I want to have the suit weighed down with ballast to give me something close to the 1g stress on my bones and organs..

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Only 10K? Here.. I will just skip filling my tank and ride with my friends to the beach instead...

* note to self, things are expensive lately =p

Serious note though, the simulation is probably made with some out of the box tools, to start fiddling with them takes time away from actual development of game play items.