Author Topic: Shelf  (Read 7039 times)

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
Shelf
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »
I know this seems a little strange, but I just would like to have a shelf that things like the toolkits, the water, and the bio waste containers could go on... Kinda like the back of a rover just inside the habitat.

Jeno

• Private
Re: Shelf
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
shelf or storage place like in the demo would be really nice and useful because you would always know where to look for these containers...

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »
If I get time I can do that to some extent. People tend to just drag things around with them and drop where ever they happen to be. The base will have storage for parts etc so it is in the plan after I get all the mechanicals working.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »
reminds me... are we missing the locator on latest version of MCC? or do we need to set up the comm towers first?

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »
Just missing the computer to do it. Things local ( within range of the main base tower ) should be working.
I added the locator stuff for a convenience, might make sense not to add it for the game, more of a challenge.

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »
I added the locator stuff for a convenience, might make sense not to add it for the game, more of a challenge.

Please don't do that  :(

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »
@Hyper I agree not having it would make more of a challenge, but imagine trying to find a O2 can thats for some reason been left outside (or forgotten where dropped) a long distance away, tucked behind a hill... might take hours to find..  how about a 'half way' locator.
 Instead of a display showing items point and coords, maybe the locator display could show its general direction (with an arrow for example) .. example, the O2 can is lost, we open up PC locator display, scan for O2 can, wirless signal sent out and recived and sent back to locator, an arrow showing general direction is displayed relative from HAB. Players use that bearing to track down using sight. If item if close (say 50m Radius) a X is displayed showing item is somewhere within HAB area..

Ivanpet

• MCOTest
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 03:39:07 AM »
Marcus ! you have right.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »
well when you fire up YOUR colony and you have friends that you trust and you can lay down some laws about that might go along way to solving the issue. Remember astronauts do a inventory check out and in. It will be a balance of realism vs gameieness. Maby it will be a pice of equipment you can earn..

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »
In order for the MicroLogistics (locator) function to work, three things need to be done:

1) there has to be set a comm.-web. (Comm. towers?) that allow you to pinpoint the object location (minimum 3 sources - the more the better).
2) every object must be tagged with a tranponder-chip.
(I see it this way - at start, every equipement has no tranponder-chip. You would have to aquire those chips [a dropped cargo box somewhere on the map?], and take each equipement to the work bench, and install the chip manualy. Then this particular item will be seen on the Locator...a nice side-mission BTW)
3) there has to be a computer capable of locating those chips using existing comm.-net. Such a console could be inside the Weather & Communications Module...which is not the first module of the base. As such - players will start without the locator function, but have the ability to aquire it later, when they expand the base (this could also be a motivation towards faster base developement).

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »
tag the equiptment?      you mean with those rfid chips???    that would only work in a small aera.....

if you want to keep eye on realism....you have to do your job without a locator--but look at the facts:

this is a sim...so if you are a lazy ass....you throw things around,nobody is able to find them, everybody dies....and you dont care.

In real life, such a behavior would cause your own death....so you would be careful without being told.

its all up to the people you are playing with- like always.

but if a locator is wanted....how about a terminal in a corner of the cohab. maybe next to the one where you can see position of comm-towers.  the terminal has a chematic picture of the cohab. if you looking for the tools, you may see yellow spots...the toolbox on a rover that is far from base is just a colored sector...so you know in what direction to look for.   maybe blue spots for the water can...etc...

BTW:   will there be something like a control-room?   i loved the atmosphere in demo with the screens where you can get your infos
?
Volunteer for one-way-mission!

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
Sigh... I just wanted a shelf....

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander