Author Topic: Colony layout  (Read 10994 times)

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
Colony layout
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »
I will be moving the farm, bio into the main hub. The mine will wind up being portable outposts. Having said that, I want your opinions on what it should look like.
Make some "simple" drawings of a colony layout for the farm, bio labs, main repair center, life support, power etc. Simple is the key here, please dont load the database up with tons of pictures. Use links instead if you have to make references. I am not after what the buildings should look like but how it should all be arranged. Simple top down sketches would be fine.

Here is a test layout

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:41:27 PM by Hyper »

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
Re: Colony layout
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »
I'am working on it. I have some interresting idas (my father and sister are architects). I'll post them soon...

All good questions:

In the meantime, I have some questions that would reely help:
1) will there be windows in the habitat?
I would like to have some, not many. Since the hubs now have support modules I might put them in on the 45 angles

2) will there be a possibillity to go on the roof (to fix antenas, radiators, marker-beacon, external lights, cameras perhaps?)
I would like to make this work yes, climbing ladders is a bit of a challenge with the animations but might could add a lift.

3) will the interior be smaller then up until now?
Yes the hubs are smaller but the modules are about the same

4) will there be any more/less modules?
Yes there will be modules, like a whole base in antartica. Service modules connect the hubs for expansion.

5) will there be 2nd flor like in demo?
No. 2 story structures require more support. These modules were designed to be like trailers or train cars all connected.

6) will there be a private room for each astronaut?
I Wanted to add this but not sure if I can.

7) will there be a monitoring station (e.g. cameras, EVA sensors, metheorological data, satelite link status, astronauts health and radiation monitoring etc..)?
Yes. Each module will have a special purpose.

Will respond more later....

8 ) will there be a gathering place (e.g. food table, conference room, recreation area?)
9) will there be a medical room?
10 ) will there be a an excersize spot?
11) will there be any shelves, personal items, non-esential equipement?
12) will there be a possibillity to make light in each room separately? Can you adjust the light?
Yes.

13) can you adjust the LSS in each room separately?
There will be zones, at the farm area there will be a low pressure area.

14) can every module be sealed-off using preasurized doors (in emergency perhaps?)
Zones.
15) can walls storrage iteams as a shelves (that is used on ISS and other vehicles to gain more space)?
16) can any equipement be movable? (for instance, a player doesn't want the LIBS to be on one corner and moves it to another one)
17) is there a list of "things" that needs to be included?
18) can you give us the top-(eagle) view of the base?
I will once I lay it all out, kinda the purpose of this thread.

Sorry if those are troublesome.  :-\

And an idea: radiation shelter.
One of the modules should have water/oxy/hydrogen tanks on top of it.
It would protect colonists from radiation storms.
Beneth would be a special (small) room with thick lead walls, with a size only as big that everyone could get in and close the shelter-door behind.
Like this---> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Mars_design_reference_mission_3.jpg
The shelter could also have a super-conductive magnet for decreasing electron-like radiation, and polarizable houl for decreasing proton-like radiation.
Both use a lot of energy, but only for a short amount of time. I know that's not the topic now, but...  :-*
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:22:06 AM by Hyper »

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

Ivanpet

• MCOTest
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »
I like ideea with: The mine will be portable base !!!  ;D

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »
I wonder how hard it would be to get an airtight seal with bedrock.could make for some interesting locations if it were possible...

Might even be with enough caulk or maybe some of that foam they use to fill void spaces here on earth.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
IMHO the buildings will be like an erector set. Frames can be assembled easy and light weight. The walls will probably be shipped collapsed. An inner and outer skin of rubber impregnated kevlar type substance with thin mesh wire for extra strength. Once the frame is assembled the walls are put in place hollow for easy assembly then filled with expansion foam to make it all rigid and provide lots of insulation. The shapes of the buildings I have serve this purpose. The Hubs shape allow them to be collapsed and shipped in a cylinder then on deployment they get dragged into position, jacked up and foam injected into the walls. They act as building blocks to make what ever shape we want for the base and infinitely expandable and easily manufactured.

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:05:31 PM »
That would be a really effective means of habitation.

A boron carbide foam filling the walls would probably reduce the radiation significantly as well.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:56:16 PM »
Yeah I think it would work well. I have looked into a few different foams that would provide insulation and radiation protection. Right now my only issue is the textures to apply to the walls and plastic frame.

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
Sounds excellent =)

When can we move there?

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
A test zone is almost ready to have a run through, will keep you posted.

Eldruin

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
A test zone is almost ready to have a run through, will keep you posted.

cant wait ;D! the next test will be my first look at the progress since the demo release ;)

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »
I have drawn up a very basic layout of how I think a colony could be set up..

I have tried to incorporate a system where a control hab runs the units (which are inter-changeable) through secondary control 'nodules'.
The main control hab, has the main systems of water,O2,power,temp,pressure,PC etc which is then sent to the units attached to it. The secondary Control 'nodules' have a set of back up systems/storage that resouces (Water,O2,Power etc)are then trickle fed and if needed converted and controlled..

This could allow the units attached to the Main hab to temporarly run independentlly from each other and the control hab and allow transfer of power and recouces from differnet units

ie not enough power to run all units, backup power is used independantly on units until power is restored

or not enough power to run all units, backup power is depleted in a unit, power is transferd from one unit to another using a switching system..

Doors to seperate areas (nodules and units) can be used as an emegenccy airlock or if pressure good normal doors.

PS I having trouble uploading from image shack, can anyone help me??

I have added attachments of layouts until I get it sorted..

this could apply to all resouces (water,o2,pressure)

Another idea is to allow these units to link up with other 'sets' for example one control hab can run 4 units, attaching another 'set' (including a second control hab) using universal fittings and access corridors and inter-changeable units could allow for a colony to be built as desired (ie more farms, or more bio labs).. as the colony sets get larger, these too also run independantlly but power and resouce transfers can be made though the sets.. ie see below

these a just my thoughts on an expandable, linked colony layout..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:08:27 PM by thedubman »

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 05:44:51 AM »
It looks ok..  However from a cost standpoint I dont like this design.   There is way to much dead space and extraneous material usage.

I dont have a mouse today and I am working on mouse keys otherwise I would redraw one that uses about 35% less materials. Needles to say the connector tubes and nodes will be excessively expensive to ship and use for what amounts to useless space.

I like it because of how modular they are... however I envision Facility to facility connections and few if any nodes and connector tubes because of their costs without benefits.

Also the extreme number of seals will be a maintenance nightmare.

Hyper

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
In my design the connector tubes are actually service modules so there is no waste.

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
It looks ok..  However from a cost standpoint I dont like this design.   There is way to much dead space and extraneous material usage.

I dont have a mouse today and I am working on mouse keys otherwise I would redraw one that uses about 35% less materials. Needles to say the connector tubes and nodes will be excessively expensive to ship and use for what amounts to useless space.

I like it because of how modular they are... however I envision Facility to facility connections and few if any nodes and connector tubes because of their costs without benefits.

Also the extreme number of seals will be a maintenance nightmare.

Yes I agree, It wouldnt be practical to bring down lots of metal sections just for access...  the main goal of the design was to allow different parts of the colony to run independently and/or sharing resouces.. and the nodules/nodes acted as mini control hubs as backups if any main failure..

As to costing If I had to build something like that in real life (say the artic) I would propose building access 'tubes' made from a polythene based (a composite material of some sort) sheeting, stretched over and inside support frames (some kind of comp fibreglass?), with the doors/airlocks stepwell buried in the surface. The bottom of the sheeting could be placed in slit trenches (protected by a kevlar comp? matting). The ends of sheeting would be sealed at the door.

Slit trench dug by a combination of rover 'Plough'? combined with warm water/steam jets or cutting disc. A peferated pipe is placed in bottom of trench and warm water/steam is pumped in to flood the area.

After area prepped access tube is placed, water pumps closed and ground allowed to freeze,.. once sealed air mixture is pumped in and regulated to gain pressure... this would allow sections to be built and areas opened up as doors are not needed (Unless in emergency when area is shut off).. it is to be noted that, during construction stage, the 'access tube' will be inflated like a balloon until 'walls' are stiffened.. the 'access tube' could be clear, a reflective material, or solid colour with or without windows..

It could also possible to 'double skin' the 'access tube' and fill in the gap with a polymer gel, to provide insulation and help absorb RADS. Lots of nano-wire piezoelectric cells could be placed in the gel- so wind movements and vibrations would be able to generate a little power..

Dust could be avoided using jets of air,fans, new materials (designed by copying water lilly leaf I saw on TV) and an electro-static charge.. To help repel any dust

A variation of this for simple small buildings?? I can imagine a small domed greenhouse??

Yes I know polythene prob wont survive cold but be a comp mat and also polythne great at protecting from RADS, small sealing probs fixed with resins or more water etc,.. there would be frozen ground in the access and would be cold but be  like living in the artic ?

Not that it matters as Hyper has incorporated systems within access routes cever that..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:32:10 PM by thedubman »

profit004

• MCCS Test
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 04:27:22 PM »
Hyper's design with the nodes as control and logistics hubs seems quite good..

I am... wary to say the least about your trench design... It looks so incredibly flimsy and prone to rapid decompression.

In any event, I think walkways will be things to be minimized.

I rough scetched out something I think Might kinda work.   I Really think we will probably be dealing with multiple sized moduals on mars so the little sketch I made reflects that.  There is a limitation on how complex this can get due to the odd module shapes, and I think mars in real life will reflect that. even the space station has odd length for most of its modules,  zeveda is not the same length as the MPLM which isn't the same as the JEM which isn't the same as the ESA lab module which is not the same as the planned habitation module which they eventually scrapped.  Real life they tend to cut costs and sacrifice ascetics and expandability, especially when the modules themselves have limited life.

I am sure if we ever make it to mars.. Sometimes a module will have to be scrapped and recycled and a larger/newer/better/different one will be put into it's place.   Although it will more likely be they will just abandon the old shelters for new ones as their ability to build and adapt to the land increases and the old ones become unsafe to inhabit...