Author Topic: Weapons on Mars???  (Read 15565 times)

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
Weapons on Mars???
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:15:16 AM »
Stop laughing!!!    No- i am not thinking about the "little green men" or somewhat......

its not an idea for this simulation.....

My question is, should NASA give a weapon to mission-commander (pistol)....maybe to get control back if something strange happens like somebody is going Amok or somewhat....

What do you think???
Volunteer for one-way-mission!

Fish

• Private
Re: Weapons on Mars???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »
Tasers and other non lethal weapons perhaps not guns, but then again they are all rocket scientists so i guess if they wanted to make some sort of projectile weapon it wouldn't be that hard for them.
"Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers."

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
yes....thats true-    but its more something that suddenly happens like an amok-run. if you got the time to construct a weapon with projectils, you need time and material..... that is planned.

Fish

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
lol so true perhaps a tranquilizer dart gun. i would imagine that the med stores would be full of sedatives and a dart would be less likely to cause damage to the habitat.

However if it was a military run mission then i would expect a weapon (or 2)to be taken

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »
Weapons? Hell no! The only reason those peeple cooperate together is that they trust each other.

Poland here. My time: GMT + 1h
Writing a book about Mars. Any ideas? Type to me.
I'am an Astrobiology/Biology student.

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
thats correct.....when everything is fine as planned.....

but suddenly a member gets depressive...or his EVA-suit has got a malfunktion- so airmix is not correct and he gets mad....and tries to blow up the generator unit or something else.....
how can you stop him?   maybe your are a thin colonist, and the mad idiot is taller and bigger and starts to destroy the hull of the cohab.....

i know you....and you know me....but there could be a situation, we are not acting like usual.....and the other one has only one possibility to avoid that everybody is killed....to shoot the maniac.....

i like fishs idea.    a traquilizer-pistol.     nice idea....

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
In reality Hypers Mars sims have allways had the basis of No Guns, No Aliens rule..

But it is interesting with what you would do in a situation on Mars as described above for real, how far would you (need to?) go.
I think that the Mars sims will include a commander mode (for host) to be able to kick etc players who purposley mess the game up etc..

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 08:47:02 AM »
Let's speak theoretically. If indeed there was a weapon needed on Mars Colony to Kill an astronaut (not stun but kill), what weapon would it be? 
Obviously not a normall pistol.

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »
 :o  @thedubman...     look at first entry....this discussion is NO idea for the sim...that wont make sense. its just a general discussion !!
its one of the things i love, that it can make fun without killing or destruction....

@ marco      i agree...    FISH had two good ideas...    a teasergun or a gun with tranquilizerdarts....     both ways just stop the man,they do not kill...

in fact,  i would more be afraid of someone is going mad   the of a malfunction or something like this.  what if you stopped a crewmember?   you have to build up a save room. how to get control over him, o get rid of him....      what if he is a real danger and would take every small chance to kill or sabotage?   THAT is a real problem...       
uuh.....    horrible thoughts today.... ???

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
Again - what gun would be used to KILL?

Fish

• Private
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »
I think the problem is picking a weapon (or ammunition) thats capable of piercing an EVA suite and killing a man/woman without causing to much damage to the habitat>

Marco2001

• Mission Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
Dart gun with a poison maybe?

Kraniel

• Administrator
  • Mission Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »
Of course, someone snapping is always a possibility.

Nasa does highly intense psych testing on the astronauts and carefully monitors them for long term flights (think space stations terms). That said, may scifi authors have speculated about just such a scenario. I really don't think guns are an option.

Remember that bulkheads are lockable... so it would be feasible to lock someone away for their own safety, but a hell of a challenge. Feeding, bathrooms, etc. would require some kind of serious supervision and getting someone offworld even more so. There are enough tools that one could use as a weapon I suppose, prolly even a hack of the ground penetrating radar. Some meds could be used to keep the "perp" sedated, but long term it's too much a burden on the colony. I am betting at some point in the future, bad guys will be executed through the airlocks, and under some sort of military rules - where the commander has such rights for the good of the colony.

Now Jason on Mars... I smell another horrible sequel.
Kraniel

outzoner

• Mission Commander
  • new Toys for me!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
nice statement Kraniel...    this is exact the point  i am thinking of....     if it is a small thing like hystery or panik-attac or something that is caused by a malfunction of lifesupportsystem of your eva, then you can get a man arrested or fixed to his bed untill he is allright again....

but the worst case i s truely a the instand danger ,when someone switched to mad.  that is the stuff of scifi-thrillers.....

yes......kraniel is right....the only way could be an execution....    i hate this idea...

thedubman

• Mission Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
I disagree with execution! (now I understand what this post is about!),.. heavy sedation, to knock them out- then a series of light sedation to keep them calm!
For serious 'crimes' (like a murder/violence)..tranquilise them, use a 'Mars Cyrogenic bed' (Lol!) freeze them up and send them back to earth, the long route home around the sun..

...what about if everyone else got 'Mars madness' and you where the last one 'sane' and had the whole colony after you..